Everyone in the apartment complex I lived in knew who Ugly was. Ugly was the resident tomcat.
Ugly loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and shall we say, love. The combination of these things combined with a life spent outside had their effect on Ugly.
To start with, he had only one eye, and where the other should have been was a gaping hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side, his left foot has appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner. His tail has long since been lost, leaving only the smallest stub, which he would constantly jerk and twitch. Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby striped-type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, even his shoulders with thick, yellowing scabs.
Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same reaction. “That’s one UGLY cat!!”
All the children were warned not to touch him, the adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave.
Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around feet in forgiveness. Whenever he spied children, he would come running meowing frantically and bump his head against their hands, begging for their love. If you ever picked him up he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever he could find.
One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbors huskies. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. From my apartment I could hear his screams, and I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly’s sad life was almost at an end.
Ugly lay in a wet circle, his back legs and lower back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear in the white strip of fur that ran down his front. As I picked him up and tried to carry him home I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. I must be hurting him terribly I thought.
Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear - Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and obviously dying was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring. Even in the greatest pain, that ugly battled-scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion.
At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, or even try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me completely trusting in me to relieve his pain.
Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside, but I sat and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly. Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. He had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for.
Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, beautiful, but for me, I will always try to be Ugly.
Oh my god. ;-;
i am literally crying right now omfg I just can’t i can’t
I know I already reblogged this once, but I’m going to reblog this whenever it comes up on my dash.
this is so powerful.
sweet little thing :’(
- sherlock-yer reblogged this from caligulalove and added:
- sherlock-yer likes this
- alleswasichsomag reblogged this from scrapbook-of-clairealiceyoung
- fuckyeahjohndavid reblogged this from jj4droyd
- animewheeler reblogged this from thegloriouspoobah
- thegloriouspoobah reblogged this from sekt7 and added:
- thegloriouspoobah likes this
- walrusgoddess reblogged this from bagginswatson
- jesuisunbein likes this
- dapstrewl likes this
- gwendolencorday likes this
- bowtiesnlove reblogged this from goodnightcecil-goodnight
- bowtiesnlove likes this
- lisafarts likes this
- might-be-a-spiderwolf reblogged this from mercifulvoodoo
- mordecai-4ever reblogged this from horrorismyfriend
- mordecai-4ever likes this
- horrorismyfriend reblogged this from goodnightcecil-goodnight
- horrorismyfriend likes this
- goodnightcecil-goodnight reblogged this from mercifulvoodoo
- goodnightcecil-goodnight likes this
- mercifulvoodoo reblogged this from even-romer
- mymercurialmind reblogged this from christastr0phe
- christastr0phe reblogged this from tortletown
- celebrationofinsanity likes this
- fruits-with-staches reblogged this from theatregeekkristen
- yojaidajosaphine likes this
- always-goodvibes reblogged this from p-r-e-t-t-y-k-i-t-t-y
- torilynn89 likes this
- vinnybehkayleysbitch reblogged this from hylianhippiex3
- vinnybehkayleysbitch likes this
- avengers-initiate reblogged this from senselessdeathprecious-life
- avengers-initiate likes this
- spiritualexplosions likes this
- itsall4y0u reblogged this from deeper-implications
- deeper-implications reblogged this from senselessdeathprecious-life
- mademoisellestory reblogged this from senselessdeathprecious-life
- senselessdeathprecious-life reblogged this from ashhole-stoner
- octopodias reblogged this from spookpoweredgiraffe
- jamiestratfordtheatre reblogged this from theatregeekkristen
- ashkisseskush reblogged this from super-stressed
- wastedpizzax likes this
- flowursheaven reblogged this from flowersskies
- flowersskies reblogged this from depressur
- whatislifepeople reblogged this from wallowseaofsorrow
- babe5ever reblogged this from bittersweet-fantasies
- weeallhavestoriestotell reblogged this from dreamingwithmegan
- damaged-marionette likes this